Most of you know that we lost our Boykin Spaniel, Huck, after only 15 months due to kidney failure. We have been patiently searching out a new dog for our family and we had lots of requirements. Brent and I were not sure we wanted to commit to any more "children" right now but decided we would know if the right dog came along. Well, as I was searching through petfinder just before Christmas, I noticed a new listing for an 8 month old havanese that was a puppy mill rescue dog. I am a sucker for havanese -- they are the cutest, cuddliest little dogs ever and we had even talked to breeders about them about 5 years ago. I contacted the lady about the dog and he sounded too good to be true -- 8 months old, neutered, up to date on shots, microchipped, crate trained, good with kids, happy and friendly. The only negative -- he was from a puppy mill and therefore wasn't housebroken. Ugh! Did I really want to train a dog when I wasn't even sure I had successfully trained my two year old yet!!??
I sent Brent to check out the little guy while the kids and I were visiting family in Alabama. He called and said "Three other people are looking at the dog so we need to decide now!" Brent is a great salesman and he falls for great sales techniques too! Of course, we jumped and after driving 7 hours from Alabama (miraculously with only one stop!), the kids and I drove to Wildwood, MO to pick up the little guy soon to be known as "Barney Balogh". So far, only two accidents in the house and one was totally my fault -- he tried to tell me! He is the cuddliest and calmest dog we have ever owned. He is a total fit for us! HOORAY!
So this morning, after taking my 3 kids for haircuts, we loaded up Barney and took him to get dolled up for the new year too. Total Balogh grooming fees for today -- $93; neat and cleanand sweet smelling Balogh kids and dog -- priceless!
No comments:
Post a Comment